Thursday, July 3, 2014

Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts #7

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. This is the place where we can talk about anything that pops into our minds, bookish or otherwise. Your rants (good or bad) are welcome here too. Come and share anything you want with us today.



1.  I  finally watched 2001:  A Space Odyssey from beginning to end.  Previously I have only seen pieces at a time.  Now I have to admit, I am totally lost as to why this movie has received so many accolades.   I found it long and drawn out . . . and worst of all, I could not find what the movie was trying to say.
I always thought the movie was actually about HAL (the onboard computer) that went crazy but this was only about 10 minutes of the entire movie (my husband disagrees with me on this and says that HAL was in fact trying to save humanity by preventing the astronauts from reaching Jupiter).   
If anyone has any insight into this movie, I would love to hear what you think.

2.  I am not good with technology but I had a Blackberry phone for a few years and when it was time to upgrade, I chose a Blackberry again.  What a mistake!  I hate my Blackberry Z10!  What were they thinking, this phone is the worse!  And I have to wait another year before it is time for a upgrade again!  Maybe I should just buy a cheap android in the meantime, it can't be worse than this phone!

3.  Unfortunately Annihilation (that I mentioned last week) was not that great - average at best although I am going to look out for the sequel.  I started reading Before I go to sleep also as I decided last week and am about halfway.  I am not sure what to think yet.  It is a strange story so far. I needed a new audiobook and decided to re-read (re-listen) IT by Stephen King.

I read it about 20 years ago and can remember only the barest outlines of the story.  But my Audio-Bookclub (on Goodreads) was discussing what a brilliant narrator Steven Weber is, so I went in search.  I found the book and immediately started listening.  I have only just started (42 hours to go!) and in one of the first few chapters we are introduced to Beverley.  She is in an abusive (physically and verbally) relationship - married to Tom.   The chapter is told from the husband's point of view and I am finding it very hard to listen to.  I have had to stop a few times - just to catch my breath.  It is difficult to listen to his thoughts about tactical moves to push his control onto her.  How he enjoys seeing the fear in her face. . . and he has just taken out a leather belt that he has made especially for "disciplining" her.   I know this is reality in many relationships but it is still difficult to read.  As Beverley is one of the main characters, I am hoping that she is able to get out of this explosive situation in their bedroom soon.

4.   My laptop is sick and I am waiting for the experts to find the problem and hopefully fix it all.  I am going to be so disappointed if it means a "formatting exercise".  I can just see myself searching for all my old programs and passwords.  It is scary how reliant I have become on my little laptop.  I miss him terribly.   

5 comments:

  1. I need to re-read 'It'. It's been a few years and I don't remember very much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Got my laptop back, Lu :) Still trying to download all my old programs! (those that I can remember!)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your laptop, hope it gets fixed soon!

    I've been meaning to read (and watch) 2001: A Space Odyssey but alas, still haven't. One of these days...

    Thanks for dropping by my blog last week, sorry for not stopping by here sooner!

    - Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

    ReplyDelete