Sunday, March 2, 2014

{Movie} Review: Argo

Argo (2012)
Starring:  Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman and Adam Arkin
Genre:  Drama, Biography, History


In 1979, the American embassy in Iran was invaded by Iranian revolutionaries and several Americans were taken hostage. However, six managed to escape to the official residence of the Canadian Ambassador and the CIA was ordered to get them out of the country. With few options, exfiltration expert Tony Mendez devised a daring plan: create a phony Canadian film project looking to shoot in Iran and smuggle the Americans out as its production crew. With the help of some trusted Hollywood contacts, Mendez created the ruse and proceeded to Iran as its associate producer. However, time was running out with the Iranian security forces closing in on the truth while both his charges and the White House had grave doubts about the operation themselves.


My thoughts:
I greatly enjoyed this movie.  It is not your average CIA movie.  It is full of emotion, fear and dread (from the captives as well as from their would-be rescuer, Tony Mendez).   I cannot believe that this was all based on real events . . . I cannot believe that it actually worked. On the other hand, we all know that Hollywood is full of hype and lies, so why would a "fake-movie" not be believed.  

I don't want to give away any spoilers, but let's just say that In the end, the most unlikely of the captives becomes a hero. 

This movies comes from a terrible time in history.  In November 1979,  Islamist militants took control of the U.S. Embassy in Iran. They took 52 Americans hostage and only released them 444 days later.  Six embassy workers were able to escape before their colleagues were captured.  This is the story of how they were smuggled out of the country under the noses of the militants. 

I highly recommend this movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat. 



1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I had never heard of this story before so I had no idea how if the plan would work, and I was very tense for last bit.

    And I think that beard really works for Ben Affleck.

    ReplyDelete