Saturday, November 9, 2013

Audiobook Review: Killing Floor

 photo killingfloor_zps99f8767f.jpg  
Killing Floor 

by Lee Child 

Series: Jack Reacher #1 
Genre: Crime Fiction 
Source: my own audio copy 
Narrator: Dick Hill 
Length: 14 hrs and 47 mins 
Original Publication Date of book: 
17 March 1997 



Ex-military policeman Jack Reacher stops in Margrave Georgia for less than a half-hour to check out a decades-old needless murder, and is arrested for murder. Ten days to stop the villains, or die. Working for the US Treasury, Joe left Jack clues, starting with this too-shiny Southern town, where a senile barber gets $1,000/week without customers. (Goodreads)


My thoughts:
I have never looked at the Jack Reacher series before. I tried to watch the movie starring Tom Cruise and could not finish it (my husband fell asleep). I don't know if it was the story or just casting . . . it just did not work for me. 


Then while reading some of the comments on my Goodreads Audiobook Group, everyone was agreeing what a great narrator, Dick Hill is. I was looking for something to add to my daily commute audio, so I listened to the audio sample available on audible and fell in love with his narration from the start. His calm voice just epitomized what I think Jack Reacher should be. Cool, calm and collected. 

The story is a simple crime thriller although there are some surprises that caught me off guard (don't worry, no spoilers). I enjoyed the way the story flowed and how Jack handled some of the difficult situations – luckily he does not have to worry about rules and procedures . . . and just imagine this 6'5” man with mascara all over his face so he could hide in the dark bushes. The other motorists probably thought it was a crazy woman giggling by herself in the car. 

All in all, I really enjoyed everything about this experience. The story was good and the narration excellent. The only negative I can think of is that at times I got irritated with the sentences all ending in “right” . . . but as you progress in the book, your mind starts blanking out the word for you :)

1 comment:

  1. Before I Fall is absolutely amazing and gives such a meaningful life perspective! I'd definitely recommend that you read it soon! :)

    –Remy @ Books In Her Head

    ReplyDelete