Monday, November 25, 2013

Audiobook Review: Bossypants

 photo bossy_zps8126b790.jpg Bossypants
by Tina Fey 

Source: my own copy 
Publication date:
05 April 2011 

Genre: Autobiography 
Narrator: Tina Fey 
Length: 05 hours 30 minutes 
Date Read: 22 November 2013


Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon—from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.(Goodreads)


My thoughts:
Biographies are not high on my reading list but I have heard good things about this one. And I was looking for gasping laughing out loud moments or even just wide smiles. 


Things started on a high note with a peanut joke that had me pausing the audio to share it with my husband. We love a good peanut joke! I was excited, this was going to be great!

Unfortunately it was not really funny after that. It brought a smile to my lips once or twice but overall it quickly became a one tone account of her life at Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock . I am not a SNL fan and have only watched the occasional episode of 30 Rock, so these parts did not hold my attention for long. Thinking back, I can only summarize these parts as the “I worked long hours” chapters.

These were a few spots of light – the fire on the cruise ship while honeymooning being one. Just imagine!

Overall, this was not an entire flop for me (I finished it after all) but I would recommend it only to die-hard Tina Fey fans. 

1 comment:

  1. I read this one. it was given to me for the gift exchange at the place I used to work last year. It was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete