Wednesday, February 26, 2014

{Audiobook} Review: American Elsewhere

 photo americanelsewhere_zps234c01f6.jpg American Elsewhere
by Robert Jackson Bennett


Genre: Science Fiction
Source: my own copy
Date Read: 06 February 2014
Narrator: Graham Winton
Length: Unabridged - 22 hours; 24 minutes 


Some places are too good to be true. Under a pink moon, there is a perfect little town not found on any map. In that town, there are quiet streets lined with pretty houses, houses that conceal the strangest things. After a couple years of hard traveling, ex-cop Mona Bright inherits her long-dead mother's home in Wink, New Mexico. And the closer Mona gets to her mother's past, the more she understands that the people of Wink are very, very different.



My thoughts:
I had a really hard time writing this review.  When a friend asked what I thought of American Elsewhere, I really had to search for words to describe my feelings.  

I cannot decide if I even liked it. I know I am in the minority, looking at all the glowing reviews on Goodreads, but I am sure I would have dropped it if it was not an audio version.  I find that I read outside my normal "comfort zone" when I listen to audiobooks (which just makes me love audiobooks all the more!).

The story started off very slowly and is written in very descriptive, what I image, would be considered prose (my reading style is usually much more relaxed).   Huge sections are just very flowery language describing for example the valley and mountains near the village or just the beautiful night and pink moon.   This is not your usual Sunday afternoon beach read.

Towards the middle, the story starts and it is very, very strange. Not sure why some would consider it horror though. It is at most very loosely based science fiction (mostly alien) or maybe fantasy. 


There is some action towards the end and a lot happens in just the last few chapters.  By this time, I was invested in the story and I just had so see what the author would do to tie up all the loose ends.   I think all fell in place very easily.

I would recommend this to readers of more literary fiction or to people like me who enjoy stretching their reading experience with audiobooks.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment