Sunday, December 15, 2013

Super Six Sunday: My favourites of 2013

Super Six Sunday is an original bookish meme hosted at Bewitched Bookworms You can see the weekly schedule of themes here. 

I did not have a good year and the reading was not so much better.  I do not have any five star reads and only a few four star reads.  Very disappointing . . . 

My favorite ones, in no order . . .  



 I love horror stories.  This is the second in the parallell world trilogy by SL Grey (a South African duo).  The Ward is not your typical horror and I really enjoyed it.  The first book was sent in a shopping mall.  This one is in a hospital and the third in the series (already waiting in my TBR pile) is set in a boarding school.


 The Pride series is one of my all time favorites.   Wolf with Benefits is book #8 and you are missing out if you have not met this clan.  Start with the first book in the series and I promise you will not be disappointed.  This is the perfect series for holiday reading.
 


 This was a big surprise.  I enjoyed The Night Circus although I cannot exactly pinpoint why.  It was a very unique story and the narration just gave it that extra "oemphf".  



I enjoy Mira Grant and Parasite was the beginning of another great series.  I am looking forward to seeing where we go from here.

I am not a Harry Potter fan and did not read the books or see the movies.  But this detective series caught my attention and I will definitely be looking for the next in the series.  The Cuckoo's Calling was a pleasant surprise and PI Cormoran Strike was wonderful.

I started this book under the misconception that it would be a horror story - it is Stephen King after all.  But no, Lisey's Story was something in a category all on its own.  It has elements of horror and of fantasy . . . and of life . . .  

I am looking forward to see your favourites, so I can add them to my reading list.  I want 2014 to be more readable . . .
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I really wanted to read The Night Circus. I started a few times but never really got into the story. Mabye I should read the book instead of the audio...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Night Circus, Parasite, and Cuckoo's Calling are all books I really want to read!! I love the cover of Parasite, it's super creative and simple. I am hoping 2014 is a better reading year for me too. I didn't find near as many good books this past year as I did in 2012 and it was a little disappointing. Plus I didn't read as many books as I wanted :( So hopefully we'll both find some good stuff this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed The Night Circus, too...it was really different from what I normally read, but also really good. I still need to read Parasite, but I loved Feed by the same author. Interesting list!

    ReplyDelete